Sunday, June 10, 2007

Reaction: “Identifying your God”

Identifying your God” is an interesting topic of discussion that was mentioned over at Philosophy et cetera. This post sparked my interest immediately, I wrote my senior thesis on “Would society be better off if god was dead?” The post talked about the similarities between the Christian idea of God and the Muslim Idea of God. In the post, the main argument is “whether one's concept of 'God' is compatible with the state of affairs hypothesized by another.”
I disagree and feel that the real issue is that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all stem from the same place. All there are categorized and Abrahamic religions, as is stemming from the traditions of Abraham around 2000BC. There is no need to determine if one side is compatible with the state of affairs hypothesized by another. There is no need because they are all so similar. All sides need to realize the history they share.
My problem and the direction I would like to now lead this argument is on religion and its problems. These three religions share many similarities that it is a shame how much controversy there has been throughout history. It seems that each religion preaches peace, yet is willing to go to war and kill in the name of their religion. I am not just talking about Islamic terrorist or American KKK members; rather I am talking throughout history in the crusades and the Christian-Muslim conflicts in Spain. There are many examples of religion causing violence. When Cortez went into Mexico and slain the Mayans and the Aztec, claiming that it was what was supposed to be done.To sum up my main argument, I feel that the Abrahamic religions are very similar and are closer than most realize. In addition, these religions should not be the cause of the conflict since they are so closely linked, but the religions seem to hold on to their differences, which in turn just leads to more conflict.

2 comments:

Broken Tusk said...

Ok I am not sure if I get the point you are trying to say. I do see how they are closely related in history and that each one values peace and that if religion had not been around there would be no wars. I guess What I don't understand was your point of view on the feeder post.

bl0g0blin24 said...

I do agree that much of religion is based on similar history. I also agree that much conflict has errupted from religion. But I think is it important to note that it is radical, extreme religious groups, not the vast majority, that cause problems. Do we need a God? I think so. Despite conflict, religion brings about many personal positive attributes. The believe in a god, any god, gives people a sense of peace, hope, and purpose. I think it is important for everyone to believe in something greater than themselves. Some of the greatest acts of compassion were also done in the name of God.